The two main causes of a torn bicep tendon are injury and overuse. Injuries might be caused by lifting something heavy or falling on your arm. Most tears of the elbow bicep tendon happen because of an injury. Overuse can cause the tendons to wear down or fray over time.
How do you prevent a torn bicep?
To prevent a biceps tendon rupture, individuals should:
- Maintain proper strength in the shoulder, elbow, and forearm.
- Avoid repetitive overhead lifting and general overuse of the shoulder, such as performing forceful pushing or pulling activities, or lifting objects that are simply too heavy.
How do you heal a torn bicep?
- Ice. Apply cold packs for 20 minutes at a time, several times a day to keep down swelling. …
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications. Drugs like ibuprofen, aspirin, or naproxen reduce pain and swelling.
- Rest. Avoid heavy lifting and overhead activities to relieve pain and limit swelling. …
- Physical therapy.
Can you move your arm with a torn bicep?
This stress can tear the tendon from the bone, and usually causes a complete tear. When you tear your bicep tendon at the elbow, your other arm muscles will compensate, so you’ll still have full range of motion. However, your arm will most likely lose strength if the tendon is not repaired.
How long does it take to recover from a torn bicep?
It takes about 3 to 4 months for your biceps muscle to heal. You may be able to do easier daily activities in 2 to 3 weeks, as long as you don’t use your injured arm. Most people who work at a desk job can return to work in 1 to 2 weeks.
How should I sleep with a torn bicep?
Give these positions a try:
- Sit in a reclined position. You may find sleeping in a reclined position more comfortable than lying flat on your back. …
- Lie flat on your back with your injured arm propped up with a pillow. Using a pillow may help reduce stress and pressure on your injured side.
- Lie on your uninjured side.
Should you wrap a torn bicep?
I advise patients to avoid compression because it can be difficult to wrap the shoulder and if you wrap the elbow incorrectly, it can result in hand swelling.